Sunday, September 11, 2011

Kitchen Tour - Part 1

Hello all, hope you had a wonderful weekend.  We had a great weekend.  The Mister went fishing, I did a little shopping, and J was a typical teenage boy, which means gaming!  I thought I would show you the kitchen today.  We have been in our home six years,  although we were able to pick all flooring, countertops, tiles, etc.,  the choices were not always what I wanted.  We have been slowly upgrading here and there, mostly in the kichen since it is the center of our home.  We have a very open floor plan.  When you come in the front door there is a foyer with the living room to the right and dining room to the left.  From the front door when you look into the dining room you can see all the way into the kitchen.


The picture above is standing just inside the kitchen area.  The showpiece of the kitchen is this 6x5 island.  The first update we did was add granite.  The builder had only about 8 choices and since I was not in love with any of them, we opted for laminate.  We have added "Red Dragon" to the island.  It is a beautiful red with black veining.





We painted the island black just before the new floors where laid a few weeks ago.  It really pops with the red granite and reddish floor.   This side of the island has six shelves.  As you can guess, I am always adding and removing items from this area.  Here is how it looks now.


On the other side of  the island, coming out of the dining room is the kitchen desk area.  This is where we charge laptops, i phones, i pods - you know all those things we cannot live without, but have those pesty cords! On all the rest of the countertops we did "Black Galaxy".



Next to the desk is the fridge,  pantry and then the double ovens.  I wanted black appliances, I know most people prefer stainless, just not for me.

Looks like I have ran out of room, so I will continue the rest of the kitchen tomorrow.  I hope you enjoyed the kitchen so far and will come back for the rest. Thanks for all that stopped by to see my Secretary and left such sweet comments.

I will be joining the following parties:
          
openhousethursday


wowuswed
The House in the RosesDittle Dattle
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Home Savvy

20 comments:

Love Of Quilts said...

What a lovely kitchen! The Island is wonderful with the shelfs to show off your roosters. I like the way the pantry fits to. Trish

refresh reStyle said...

I love your kitchen, it's so pretty! Thanks for the tour!
Debbie

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Lovely room....I have a quetion...It looks like you have an odd shaped pantry, like mine, do you have wooden shelves? and if so...do they fill in the whole space width-wise? I am trying to remove my wire shelves and have wooden installed but the angle is so odd, that I might have to hire someone to do it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Toni! Oh, my goodness - your kitchen is so beautiful and so big! I love the granite you chose for your island and what an island it is. Love the display area you have on the end. I'm just drooling here!
Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Very pretty kitchen...and I bet wonderful to work in. Love the black and all the things you have in your kitchen just make it warm and homey.
blessings,
Debbie

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Wowza! Everywhere you look, it's gorgeous!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Wow, your kitchen is just beautiful. I'm seriously coveting that island!
:) CAS

Judy @ In His Grip said...

Your kitchen is gorgeous. Love the black painted island. Thanks for stopping by "In His Grip" :o)

Dreamgoddess said...

Your kitchen is beautiful! Love the granite on your island.

Babs said...

Wow! Your kitchen is beautiful. Love the cherry ? cabinets and your huge island. Our kitchen is so small and outdated, but I hate to think about upgrading it. That's definitely in the future though.Can't wait to see the rest of your kitchen. Beautiful granite choice, too.
Babs

Unknown said...

Your kitchen is a showcase! I love the little command central area (desk). I would love to have one in my kitchen...close to the cookbooks.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

This kitchen is stunning. Truly looks like the heart of your home. That island is amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog...I really appreciate your nice comments. Have a good rest of the week!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Beautiful kitchen!! The island is amazing. I am trying to decide on a color to paint mine. Not sure if I want black, red, or olive green. Keep the pictures coming! I am a new follower.

Carol said...

Thanks a bunch for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment!

Your kitchen is amazing! I would love having that huge island, the red granite is beautiful!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Smiles,
Carol

Evie said...

What a beautiful kitchen! wow - you are a lucky lady!!
Thanks for stopping by Brown Paper Packages and commenting! :)

evie @ brown paper packages

Honey at 2805 said...

Your kitchen is beautiful, and that island is stunning. I have always wanted an island that required it's own zip code! Every thing about it is perfect!

Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday. You are an asset to making the party a success. I appreciate you and I hope you will make this a weekly stop.

Unknown said...

Beautiful kitchen! Love your cabinets.

Ellen said...

very nice kitchen, and a wise choice with the black appliances, silver is so hard to clean its a never ending battle.
Your Island is to die for nd a nice choice for your granite. Enjoy the fruit of your labor.
Hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hi Toni,

Your kitchen island makeover is stunning ... the new black paint really is the perfect color to pair with that gorgeous granite. And I'm so envious of how large the island is too ... you must be able to serve lovely buffets from there! Hope you'll stop by and check out the giveaway I currently am hosting.

Robin
happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

You have a gooooorgeous kitchen, Toni! Thank so much for sharing at Savvy HomeMade Monday!